Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pinterest Cookie...Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles

Yesterday was my day to bring snack for my daughters tennis team. That morning I was doing my usual Pinterest surfing and this cookie caught my eye, especially after reading it I had most of the ingredients. Pinned that to my dessert Pinterest board because I knew from reading that recipe it was going to be a hit with the girls.
Here is my version of the recipe along with the link to the one I pinned. I only changed one ingredient, it called for plain Greek Yogurt and all I had was sour cream. I also added 2 tablespoons of cornstarch which makes a tender cookie. BTW... I add that to lots of cookie recipes! I pin loads of recipes and yes I make many of them but don't ever go back & re-pin that it actually was good. So I am starting a board called tried & true pins for things I make which are re-pin worthy.
Here you go!
 
Brown Butter Salted Caramel Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
 
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup unsalted butter, sliced
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sour cream
About  6-8 caramel squares cut in 4’s

For Rolling the Cookies:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Sea salt, for sprinkling on top of cookies
Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, corn starch, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
2. To brown the butter, heat a skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter, whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter until melted. The butter will start to foam and browned specks will begin to form at the bottom of the pan.  Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the brown butter and sugars. Mix until blended  and smooth.  Beat in the egg, yolk, vanilla, and sour cream and mix until combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  The dough is very sticky!
4. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.  
5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. With a 2 inch ice cream scoop ( best way to make cookies) fill with the batter,  press caramel piece inside & cover completely with the dough. Release into the sugar cinnamon mixture, roll around & place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Cookies spread when baking; place about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the cookie tops lightly with sea salt.
7. Bake the cookies 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. The centers will still be soft. Very important to allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for several  minutes or until set. Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
 
*****See that top cookie? That's what happened to my first batch before I got smart,  inserted the caramel into the scoop & covered it with dough from the bottom, not the top. The rest are how they should look!
 
That's an ice cream scooper filled, press the caramel in and pull the surrounding dough to cover the caramel....Genius!
 
Let me just add the cookies were a huge hit they were gone in seconds!
Next post will be the orzo rotisserie chicken salad...best ever! So check back!( thanks to my tennis girlfriend sharing this recipe with me) 
 
                  Make it a Great Day & Bake!!!
Enjoy!
XOXO, Pamela



No comments:

Post a Comment